Monday, February 28, 2011

The Cigar Box Ukulele Distraction





Adult ADD is a terrible thing. I started this ukulele last summer after looking at Kathy Matsushita's web site and finding I had extra mahogany and some cigar boxes on hand. Kathy has a nice cigar box build described. Above is the neck blank according to her process. I am making this a concert scale uke (14" scale). The box is a Romeo Y Julieta box, 8" long. It sat till last weekend when I made the catalpa top. I had bought a piece of 1/8" rosewood and a rosewood "pen set" at Woodcraft. The latter is perfect for two bridges the former for two fretboards. I took the bottom off the box and added a mahogany heel block, mahogany reinforcements the the corners and maple strips for gluing surfaces. I scraped away the paper on all gluing surfaces.



Here's the neck with the "insert" in place and rough carved. The Safe-T-Planer is great for thinning the peghead.




More distractions as they happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment